Debugging Techniques using the ChipScope Pro Tools
As FPGA designs become increasingly more complex, designers continue look to reduce design and debug time. The powerful, yet easy-to-use ChipScope™ Pro tool solution helps minimize the amount of time required for verification and debug.
This two-day course will not only introduce you to the cores and tools and illustrate how to use the triggers effectively, but also show you effective ways to debug logic and high-speed designs—thereby decreasing your overall design development time. This training will provide hands-on labs that demonstrate how the ChipScope Pro tools can address advanced verification and debugging challenges.
Who Should Attend?
System and logic designers who want to minimize verification and debug time.
- Basic language concepts for both days
- Basic FPGA skills for Day 1
- Intermediate FPGA skills for Day 1
- ChipScope Pro Software Overview Video strongly recommended
- Xilinx ISE® Design Suite: Logic or System Edition 14.2
- ChipScope Pro tool 14.2
- Architecture: N/A*
- Demo board: Kintex™-7 FPGA KC705 board*
* This course does not focus on any particular architecture. Check with your local Authorized Training Provider for specifics or other customizations.
After completing this comprehensive training, you will know how to:
- Identify each ChipScope Pro tool core and explain its purpose
- Effectively utilize the ChipScope Pro Analyzer and Vivado analyzer tool
- Implement the ChipScope Pro tool using the CORE Generator™, Core Inserter, and PlanAhead™/Vivado tool flows
- Select effective test points in your design
- Optimize design and core performance when ChipScope Pro tool cores are used
- Execute various techniques for collecting data including
- File storage
- Building custom triggers
- How the ChipScope Pro Tool Works
- Inserting the Cores – Inserter Flows: Core Inserter, PlanAhead, Vivado Tools
- Labs 1 and 2: Using the Inserter Tool from the PlanAhead Design Environment or Vivado Design Suite
- Instantiating the Cores – CORE Generator Tool Flow
- Lab 3: Using the CORE Generator Tool from the PlanAhead Design Environment
- Triggering and Storage
- Visualizing Data – The ChipScope Pro Analyzer Tool
- Lab 4: Triggering and Visualization in the Analyzer Tool
- Tips and Tricks
- Lab 5: Tips and Tricks
- Time for Timing
- Video Demo – Area Groups for Isolation
- Case Studies
- Lab 6: FPGA Editor Support for the ChipScope Pro Tool
- Scripting (Optional)*
- Remote Access (Optional)*
- Lab 7: Remote Access (Optional)*
* Check with your Authorized Training Provider to confirm whether this content is included with your specific class.
- Labs 1 and 2: Using the Inserter Tool from the PlanAhead Design Environment or Vivado Design Suite – Insert ICON and ILA cores into an existing netlist and debug a common problem.
- Lab 3: Using the CORE Generator Tool from the PlanAhead Design Environment, – Build upon a provided design to create and instantiate a VIO core and observe its behavior using the ChipScope Pro Analyzer tool.
- Lab 4: Triggering and Visualization in the Analyzer Tool – Configure triggers and view captured data using the ChipScope Pro Analyzer tool.
- Lab 5: Tips and Tricks – Keep time across multiple sample windows and sample across multiple time domains.
- Lab 6: FPGA Editor Support for the ChipScope Pro Tool – Change the signals being sampled by an ILA without having to reimplement the design.
- Lab 7: Remote Access – Use the ChipScope Pro Analyzer tool to configure an FPGA, set up triggering, and view the sampled data from a remote location.
40 Xilinx Training Credits